Graphene may be the smartest and the most versatile material known to us today.
It’s been known to the scientists for many years but it's only recently that scientists were able to isolate it effectively and put to some real world use.
There is still a lot to be discovered but Graphene has already proven its amazing properties. Some of the research includes futuristic flexible displays, micro and super batteries that could charge in minutes, water desalination through Graphene sheet, chips that are thousands of times faster, condoms that are incredibly thin and strong, brain implants to treat epilepsy and a lot more.
It's amazing how a single substance can be put to so many uses. Graphene seems to be the present and the future.
- It’s a two dimensional material made up of single layer of carbon atoms. That is, it has length and width but no height.
- It’s the strongest known material on earth, stronger than the diamond and still flexible and transparent.
- It would take an elephant balanced on a pencil to break through a layer of Graphene as thick as plastic food wrap.
- Graphene was first isolated from Graphite by two researchers at the University of Manchester in 2004 using a piece of Granite and a scotch tape.
- It’s also the most abundant in nature.